hanging over power lines:

We have lots of those on the northside, too.  My suggested solution is not
to take the shoes down but for all of us to visit the thrift stores, buy
pairs of shoes, tie the laces together and to throw a pair of shoes over
EVERY power line crossing a street.  I suspect this isn't legal, but it
would make the shoe thing meaningless.  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
[NOTE:  I'm not really advocating that we do this, but the idea had occurred
to me!]

On the other hand, I've seen no new shoe locations in the past several
months in my neighborhood, so I suspect that now the word is out, the shoes
have already lost their purpose as a secret code about drug dealing
locations.

Dottie Titus, Jordan