[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

"When the community asked for Empowerment Zone money to create jobs and
opportunities CP Samuels vetoed them, after giving them letters of  support."

Michelle,

While I will not be entering the debate on who is a  better candidate, Don or
Natalie, as I like and respect both of them and wish we  could have both on
the Council, I would like to point out that you have raised  the point above on
the list before back in May and that I provided you with the  correct
information back then.  This statement above is inaccurate.   Don did not and
CANNOT
veto any proposals to the Empowerment Zone.

You're original post can be found here:
http://www.mnforum.org/pipermail/mpls/2005-May/041432.html.  It's a May 21,
2005 posting entitled "Response to
socialiost2001", and your specific statement  was: "Council Person Don Samuel
met with several people with Business proposal  at the UL. Even after giving
letters of recommendation, Mr. Samuels voted not to  approve."

My response can be found
here:http://www.mnforum.org/pipermail/mpls/2005-May/041436.html. It is the same
 date with the same title as yours, and my
response was: "The proposals you  mentioned were small business startup
proposals
submitted to the Small  Grants program, they were ineligible  based on not
being
non-profits, and  further, many did not have business plans or  other sources
of  funding.  The recommendation and information was presented  by the  Staff
to the full 30-member board, which approved the declination.    Don could not
single handedly turn them down even if they were eligible.   I  explained
this to Booker when I met with him in December."

I  believe Booker has another editorial in the Spokesman which states this
again,  and I am really concerned that despite my clarifying this, people still
make the  same false accusation.  Whatever reasons anyone has for disliking
Don, this should not be one of them, because it is completely and utterly
false.  Don not only did not veto them, he CANNOT veto them, even if they  were
eligible proposals, which they were not.  The proposals for the samll  grants
are reviewed and recommended by staff and brought to the full board, no  one
person can veto them.  If you have any questions regarding the  Empowerment
Zone
or it's workings, please feel free to contact me directly by  email or phone
or through this forum.  I am happy to explain any situation  and provide the
correct information.

Jonathan Palmer
Victory