The following is from an interview with CP Don Samuels:

PIM:Switching gears. Your reelection campaign. The only two blacks on the
Minneapolis City Council facing off. This is some race. As I understand the
political intelligence, Johnson Lee is the "black establishment" candidate,
and you are the renegade. That you have somehow "sold out." Your response?

Samuels: The black establishment doesn't want change. Natalie doesn't want
change. She's a product of the reality that exists. But regular people here
in this neighborhood? They desperately want change. Not only are the gangs
and the crime life-threatening, they are also unbelievably inconvenient to
people trying to conduct the daily business of life. To the idea that I have
sold out, I say you cannot try to lead the people if you don't love them.
There's a deep fear of betrayal in the black community. That's part of the
problem. A deep- rooted stereotype that somehow, if you adapt to or manage
your way in the larger, whiter world, you've sold out. That's toxic.

Michelle Hills Response:

Am I misreading this or not? How is CP Johnson-Lee the "black establishment"
candidate and CP Samuels the "renegade?" From everything I have heard, read
and seen, their roles are the reverse. CP Samuels has always given me the
impression that he was a part of the "establishment" and if you want the call
that
"selling out" then so be it.

I would suspect that CP Johnson-Lee is the renegade, since she clearly is not
conforming to what the council wants her to be, verses what she needs to be
to affect change. I admire CP Samuels for his vigils, but clearly they have
changed nothing.

I am not clear on the direction of this interview, since it appeared so
scattered and was clearly targeted at CP Johnson-Lee and not the victims of
"Katrina." An interviewer should be unbiased, and that was not the case here.

To say that CP Johnson-Lee is a "product of the reality that exists," is to
say that CP Samuels is a product of his life as the descendant of a "house
slave."

To say that CP Johnson-Lee does not want change is to imply that CP Samuels
does. When the community asked for Empowerment Zone money to create jobs and
opportunities CP Samuels vetoed them, after giving them letters of support.

CP SAMUELS SAID: To the idea that I have sold out, I say you cannot try to
lead the people if you don't love them.

MICHELLE HILL RESPONDS: I thought "you cannot try to lead the people if you
don't love them,"  was CP Johnson campaign slogan and not CP Samuels.

Perhaps CP Samuels should stop trying to put his shoes on someone else's feet
and wear them himself.

Michelle Hill

Cleveland