I've been studying the MPRB closely for over a year - since I read that liens had been filed against parkland at The Fort LLC project, Neiman Center. I've read meeting minutes back to mid-2001. Clearly, there are serious management problems at the MPRB. Though not an official member of either park reform group, I am a park reform person this year - as are most of my neighbors and the majority of DFL delegates in my precinct, 9-7.

We, the voters and taxpayers, cannot blame MPRB staff or hold staff accountable. We can only hold Commissioners accountable.

For the most part, MPRB staff is just great! Many are career civil service employees who have specialized in recreation, forestry or whatever and they have served under many elected boards and several commissioners. If you've volunteered on a rec council or neighborhood group serving as rec council, then you know that the local park directors do all they can to assist volunteers including sharing budget info and creating opportunities for volunteers to add to park offerings and finances. If you have served on an environmental committee, like Powderhorn's Save Our Lake!, you would be bowled over by park staff's work to educate concerned citizens, share data and research, involve citizens in making choices, and explain projects down to the details of watershore plant mixes. Throughout the system, we have experienced supervisors that regularly work with inexperienced young adults and train them to do things like build docks or deliver specialized rec programs. If you've ever worked for a contractor doing MPRB work, then you know that the contract office puts out high quality plans and bid documents and routinely ensures that taxpayers receive top quality work at the best price. We are blessed with great staffers at the MPRB.

I know some in the park reform movement see GM Siggelkow as a negative force in MPRB operations at the top level. But truly, all we can assume is that GM Siggelkow has been and is doing his job per the directives of his supervisor, the MPRB superintendent. If Mr. Siggelkow's job description were to change to focus on developing relationships with all City neighborhood groups, park rec councils, business organizations and environmental groups, I suspect he would be as zealous in accomplishing this as he is in performing his present duties.

So, is Mr. Siggelkow's supervisor, now Supt. Gurban, to blame? Again, the voters and taxpayers can't hold Supt. Gurban responsible for he reports to the MPRB Board. As far as we know, Mr. Gurban is doing his job per the direction of the MPRB Board President and per the wishes of, at least a majority, of the MPRB Board.

We, the MPRB taxpayers and voters, can only hold the Commissioners accountable. We elect them - they represent us. Tonight, it is up to the Commissioners to hear staff recommendations and to request more information, as needed, to understand and eventually approve the MPRB 2006 budget. This is a Board duty - not a staff duty. It is up to the Commissioners to ensure that the budget information is shared with the general public (for it is all public information) in an understandable format. I truly hope that Commissioners in both factions support sunshine or transparency in the MPRB budget process and direct staff via the Superintendent to provide this data. It's good government and it's the law.

There's an election coming up - a time for the voters to hire and fire our representatives, the MPRB Commissioners. I know Liz Wielinski will be at tonight's meeting and is likely to post minutes per her bias - this election year, it's called a "reform" bias but in the history of local government, it is truly a "good government" bias. So, Commissioners, again, it is up to you. If there are five votes to 'rubber stamp' the staff recommendations and shut down those Commissioners who ask for more information, there will be more suspicions of insider deals and information, of being anti-good government. And such a process will provide more fodder for the park reform movement very close to the election!

BUT, we are talking about $60-$70 million that embraces skating rinks, lifeguards, clean water, athletic field quality, combating Dutch Elm disease and all else that the the MPRB does. So, I am hoping the two factions will delay until after the election and work together, as much as they can, for the best possible 2006 budget in a process that the general public can see and contribute to. We don't have to wait for elections to get a better park board.

Sincerely,
Shawne FitzGerald
Powderhorn

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In an amazing plot twist in the Park Board drama, we now have the general manager of the Park Board tell Commissioners that is totally inappropriate for Commissioners to want to review a line item budget. "It is not and never will be your job to figure out how much money to spend by specific account or line item for the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board."