I do not and will not defend current class sizes as I do believe they are
very problematic.  However, I do want to provide a high level explanation to
help further understanding - and better yet, for the generation of new ideas
to resolve the current situation.

There are a couple "types" or "sources" of money that go into class sizes,
one of which is the referendum money.  Technically, all of that money is
used to keep class size down.  However, there have been huge cuts in the MPS
budget ($130+MM in the last couple years).  Meanwhile, the Federal and State
Governments are as busy as ever providing unfunded mandates.  Therefore, the
other sources of money that contribute to class size have to be cut/reduced
to pay for the unfunded mandates, among other things. The net effect is that
class sizes swell.

A month back, I posted some short term solutions on the MPS Parents Forum
list as well a long term consideration (besides more money) that I think can
help the situation begin to right itself.  If anyone is interested, contact
me off list.

More money is certainly one answer.  However, we may not get it.  Therefore,
we have to be thinking of other solutions that can help the situation.

Tom Madden
Lowry Hill