From: MQSeries List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul
Clarke
Sent: 17 November 2004 10:18
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Receiver channel parameters mrrty and mrtmr

Alan,

I'm not sure it answers your question but you seem to indicate that the
mesage is retried regardless of the failure. This isn't true, there are only
a small number of errors which are considered transitory (and therefore
retryable). From memory these are

MQRC_PUT_INHIBITED
MQRC_RESOURCE_PROBLEM
MQRC_STORAGE_NOT_AVAILABLE
MQRC_Q_SPACE_NOT_AVAILABLE
MQRC_Q_FULL

So, in the case you cite where the queue does not exist we would not try and
retry and the message would be immediately dumped to the DLQ.

Cheers,
P.

Paul G Clarke
WebSphere Messaging Clients
IBM Hursley

MQSeries List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 17/11/2004 09:33:37:

> Hi,
>
> We have been asked to justify our decision to let receiving channel
message
> retry count and interval parameters (mrrty and mrtmr) take their
> default values.  These allow (non z/OS) MQ to retry message put
> failures up to 10 times, one second apart, before writing the message
> to the dead letter queue.  For the obvious reasons (no such queue,
> expired temporary dynamic queue), there seems little point to the
> retries, and reasonable concern
over
> possible backlogs following a transient hold-up, e.g. network hitch.
>
> To the question - Is anyone aware of sound reasons for keeping the
default
> values as they are?  Is there a reasonably common condition that
> causes a temporary inability to deliver valid messages, that is
> overcome via the retries?  I find myself wondering about MQ internal
> checkpointing, or
lock