Hi John,
In my whoosho (Australian slang for "pretty good") combo box the Row Source
Type is the AddAllToList function
and the Row Source is

SELECT Centres.CentreID, [CentreTown] & " " & [CentreType] AS Expr1 FROM
Centres ORDER BY [CentreTown] & ", " & [CentreType];

I did have it blank, so I believe Access put this in there.

>> So what does the query look like when the user picks something other than
"(All)"?  Is it a parameter query?  What is the Row Source of the combo box?

The query quite happily selected a single centre if that is what was in the
combo box but I could not work out how to work the QBE grid to have the
option of selecting a single centre or all centres.

In the QBE grid  in the [Centre] column I had the criteria
[Forms]![zzAssetsByDepartmentWithinCentreDialogueBox]![SelectCentre]
This worked well for selecting a single centre
On the *Or* line I had
[Forms]![zzAssetsByDepartmentWithinCentreDialogueBox]![SelectCentre]="(All)"

When I looked at the underlying SQL statement the correct code was there but
it disappeared from the QBE grid and I did not get all centres in the
report.

 Regarding SQL statement for generating my dynamic QUERY I worked out how to
get the spaces surrounded by quotes and the ampersands into the string by
using the CHR(34) and CHR(38) functions. The dynamic query works well now,
but I will take into account what you have advised me and will work the rest
of my reports differently. Thank you for telling me about the database
bloating. It has given me a new insight into the workings of the Access
database. Because this is an Assets Tracking system and records will be
deleted from it periodically I would have compacted it periodically, but not
for the reason you have given me.

 >>   SELECT DISTINCTROW Assets.CentreID, [CentreTown] & " " & [CentreType]
AS
  [Centre Name], Assets.DepartmentID, Assets.AssetDescription,
Assets.AssetID,
  Assets.CtrListId, Assets.Comments, Assets.Model, Assets.ModelNumber,
  Assets.SerialNumber, Assets.StatusID, IIf([Assets]![FAR Row]=0,"
  ",[Assets]![FAR Row]) AS Expr1
  FROM Centres RIGHT JOIN Assets ON Centres.CentreId = Assets.CentreID ORDER
  BY Assets.CentreID, [CentreTown] & " " & [CentreType],
Assets.DepartmentID,    Assets.AssetDescription; >>

  Thank you again for all your wonderful help.

  Ilona
  Adelaide, Australia

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/q7folB/TM