From: ms_access@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Ilona Wright
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 5:27 AM
To: ms_access@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [ms_access] Calcualtion error

Hi John,
Shahid emailed me his database and I had a good look at it. Forms and
subforms are not one of my strong points but I experimented with his
"problem". Basically he has a subtotal in the footer of the subform and this
subtotal is to display in the main form, but it comes up with #Error. I have
checked all the spelling and formatting and could not find any problem
there.
If I set the value of this field in the footer of the subform to a constant,
it displays OK in the main form.
If I set it to the value of the field it is supposed to sum, it shows the
value of that field OK as I move up and down the rows in the sub form.
But when I set it to =sum([ctrlnam]) the #Error displays in the main form.

The only strange thing I noticed in his database is the object names. He
uses "&" and "/" and "%" in field names. These should not normally cause a
problem, but could they? Shahid has most names surrounded by square
brackets, but I was just wondering if his object names could be causing a
problem. I didn't try changing them, but that would be my next step.

Another thing he doesn't do is check for possible division by zero done in
other fields in the subform which are used to calculate the result of the
field he wants to sum. The subform is in datasheet view and it shows the
last record as the "new record" which ofcourse has zeros, spaces and nulls
in it. Would that be affecting the sum() function?

Also thank you very much for your responses to my queries. I will let you
know how I go once I have tried them out.
Thank you again for all your wonderful help.
Ilona
Adelaide, Australia