How does mse database components figure out whether it is mysql 5.0 or 4.1
or 5.1 that it is connecting to, and how does it pick which dll?

I'm also thinking possibly my problem might be due to some dll problem,
lazarus says that 6.0.0 dll is installed in my system. I didn't know there
was a 6.0.0 mysql dll.

Anyway so how would mse database components figure out which database you
want to connect to.. 5.0..  4.1.. In lazarus they offer you the
TMySQL50Connection and TMySQL41Connection components and you pick which
one. Somehow mse bypasses this requirement and has a general component?