On 18 February 2012 01:37, Sieghard  wrote:

> Ok, so no further information here. Would be interesting what the selection
> effects, and what selecting another layout effects in comparison.

My keyboard layout settings apply to the whole desktop. There is a
setting where a new layout applies per window, but I never use that.

I can also switch layouts while having programs open, and without
having to restart those programs. For GTK2, KDE and fpGUI apps I can
happily switch between Qwerty, Dvorak, Colemak, and the keyboard
shortcuts are still interpreted correctly. I tested this on two
different PC's too (though both were Ubuntu 10.04 systems). It's seems
it is just MSEide that doesn't understand the Colemak keys for some
odd reason. Restarting MSEide doesn't make a difference either.

> might be able to reveal the cause. If _all_ shortcuts on Dvorak work
> correctly, there should be at least several whose keys deviate from the
> standard layout; if the deviating cases don't work on Colemak, this has to

Yes, Dvorak remaps about 33 keys compared to the Qwerty layout.
Programmer Dvorak remaps even more. Colmak only remaps 13 keys, I
think, compared to Qwerty.

I'm trying to switch to Colemak - it's very tough coming from Dvorak,
and considering I have used Dvorak for many many years. My poor
fingers have no clue what hit them! :-)

--
Regards,
  - Graeme -