> For these things, there are specific tools available.
> Wasn't the Unix "philosophy" once "one task, one tool"?

Yes, it is good in theory, and i like that idea. But in practice sharing
code between processes is too hard, which is why people use dll/dso's or
threading.

Imagine if Firefox didn't have any flash video capability and just parsed
plain HTML and nothing else (one tool, one job).. then youtube.com would
be broken and people would need a separate video tool to see youtube
videos, and the videos wouldn't be embedded in the web page, you'd have to
download the video first and then watch the video in VLC/windows media
player.

> I.e. if you want to use an IDE, it should not also include all the other
> tools you might want to use already, but instead provide a means to add
> them via external programs, as MSEIDE does.
> Even eclipse doesn't include everything from the start, it instead lets
> the
> user add more functions as plug-ins. And eclipse certainly isn't a frugal
> piece of software.

Firefox also has extensions for lots of junk that most people don't need,
but useful stuff for people who do need that extra junk. Delphi also has
the open tools api to install extra junk, some of it useful junk, some of
it useless junk. Total commander has a good plugin system too.

The problem with external processes (the unix way) is that sharing code is
difficult. I never found IPC (interprocess communication) or piping to be
as easy to use as dll/dso communication.  Using sockets (tcp/ip) to
comminicate between processes is low level and painful compared to using a
dll or a thread.  I would prefer it if there were no Threads, and people
could share between processes instead of threading. Unix people call
threaded programs "too chubby" and prefer it if people used processes. I
however find processes to be too hard to share between, even with some of
the higher level IPC stuff available (fpc now has IPC, but I still found
it to be kind of arcane/low level compared to using DLL's where the code
is shared directly).