On 11 May 2012 13:31, IvankoB <ivankob4m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, it lacks a lot of important software (incl networking &
> system administration [VPN daemons,..])

Administrating a FreeBSD machine is one of the easiest tasks I've see
- compared to the 1000's of Linux variations, it is an absolute
pleasure. As for the Network - I believe Linux and Mac OS X are using
BSD's networking stack.

> & hardware support especially.

I installed FreeBSD 9.0 about 2 months ago on a 3 year old
server/workstation - everything was detected and working. It is now
our company's primary source code repository and hosts 2 VirtualBox VM
sessions (running headless). FreeBSD can also execute any Linux
executable (at least all the ones I through at it), so even the
Linux-only software can run under FreeBSD.

I guess the latest and greatest 3D gaming video cards might be a
problem - but then Linux has often got problems with those too. In any
case, for a development workstation or a server, FreeBSD seems to do a
wonderful job.

> Me know some admins which were huge fans of BSD in the past but they HAVE
> TO switch to LINUX after years of everyday nightmare. And they have been
> very happy since then.

And sometimes I feel I need to switch to Mac OS X or Windows - just to
stop fighting software that doesn't work correctly. :-)  I guess each
person is entitled to his own choices.

My next development machine (1 month from now) is probably going to
run FreeBSD as the main OS, so I hope Martin is OK with accepting a
few patches. Doing a quick search, MSEide&MSEgui sure has a lot of
IFDEF LINUX lines.  :-/

--
Regards,
  - Graeme -