> /usr/src/debug/pulseaudio-9-0/src/pulse/stream.c:1613 which clearly is a
Pulseaudio function.
> Agreed?

OK.

> snd_pcm_ioplug_writei()->snd1_pcm_write_areas()->ioplug_priv_transfer_areas().
>
> Agreed?
... Grrrr, ..., ok.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PulseAudio
> Thus, applications using ALSA will output sound to PulseAudio,
> which then uses ALSA itself to access the real sound card.

Ok, you win.

So, if I understand ok, if PulseAudio is installed on your system and if you
choose to use ALSA, in fact your are being cheated.  You still will use
PulseAudio that will call ALSA for you.

Other thing...

Are you interested with Android developing ?
If yes (and because you are the king of audio) there is a challenge there.

Andoid has it own audio kernel based on opensles.
 https://www.khronos.org/opensles/

opensles.zip
<http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com/file/t2/opensles.zip>

There are some cross-audio-device projets that try to integrate sles (like
Portaudio or PulseAudio).

https://github.com/Gundersanne/portaudio_opensles
https://github.com/pelya/pulseaudio-android

I did try portaudio_opensles but the result of sound is not ok and there is
no answer to questions (or directly closed).

. <http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com/file/t2/uos_android.png>