> but what is "code aware strings" ?

The Delphi XE, a "code aware string type" can be defined to hold different
types of Data by adding a number in parentheses  to the "string word in the
definition. E.g. "TMyString = String(CP_ACP)"; there is a definition CP_ACP =
0; meaning default ANSI code page, or "TMyString = String(CP_UTF16) with
CP_UTF16 being defined = 1200; meaning  utf-16. Hence a String (type) can be
defined to hole either of several different encoding variants, with an element
size of either of 1, 2 or 4 bytes. If assigning a string content to some string
variable, an automatic cote conversion will be done. Martin did think this is
abysmal. And he is right, as this breaks compatibility in many cases and asks
for a lot of nasty misconceptions.

Some messages above I wrote:
I had been discussing this with Martin some two years ago. We agreed that the
way it's implemented in Delphi (and even more inconsistent) in fpc is not at
all optimal, and he said he would not do new strings in mselang. I did not hear
any news about this since that time. In fact I wrote an article about a (IMHO)
more consistent way to implement code aware strings ->
http://wiki.freepascal.org/not_Delphi_compatible_enhancement_for_Unicode_Support

-Michael