Hello Fred,

you wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 22:55:29 +0000:

> I think that I understand better the problem (maybe).

You're probably on the track.

> If you use a tfilenameeditx, via le Object Inspector, there is the
> property "statfile" where you can assign a  config file.
That seems to be somewhat the same as I used for the popup calendar form,
but that one is much simpler than the file dialog. Specifically, it does
not have a controller. The filedialogcontroller acts as an _insulating_
layer between the caller and the finally displayed form, and as implemented
does not even allow any direct data exchange with the form that it caters
for, even creates, itself. With your extended file dialog, that assumption
broke down, and you had to introduce a lot of _form_ state information in
the controller to allow at least some control for the caller.
The inception of the "newdialogs"  version was even to have _full_ control
of the visible form from the application level and to be able to save and
retrieve it automatically  The first goal was meant to be achieved by
creating a fully initialized form (or passing one to the controller) for
display and have the application take care of it, and the second was to be
solved by the use of the - rather opaque and inscrutable - memory stat file
mechanism. Both approaches worked quite well for the simpler dialogs,
albeit with "a little help from some friends" for a couple of them (the
calendar form, notably).
The file dialog showed up as an exception, though, and mainly because of
its special use of an insulating layer, the controller, which required a
lot of modifications to even get close to my first goal, handing over a
fully pre-initialized form, and makes it quite tedious to achieve the
second one, although I _think_ I found a way to make it perform as I want.

> So the trick is to assign to filedialogxfo the same  "statfile" used by
> > <tfilenameeditx. ...
> I dont know if it is the problem that you related but yes, this could be
> a solution.

Yes, that's an indirect call to the whole stuff suffering from all the same
limits, specifically it has to use all of the same tricks for retrieving
and saveing state information of the deeply insulated form object. It
cannot help to carry all these multiplied variables around and keeps the
opacity of the construct. It's probabely meant for use from within some
other object for casual use of a file dialog (a grid cell, perhaps?), which
is by itself closely limited and which it can serve satisfactorily. I'd be
more satisfied if no additional layer was needed.

Many thanks for your valuable suggestions, and my apologies for my always
overly lengthy explications
As always, best wishes, and keep up the good work!