On Thu, 16 Jan 2020, Tim Hogard wrote:

> On a more technical level, I setup a Ubiquiti UniFi network at the club
> which just got NBN FTTC so I wanted to test it and what should work
> better than a group of well connected students?  I created an open SSID
> and no one connected to it. Even after I mentioned that they could use
> the network, only 6 takers and they used about 20 mb of data over a few
> hours.  It does say something about the cost of data where uni students
> don't care about free data anymore.

I recently refreshed the PROV wifi network with an initial tranche of 22
access points. Within the first day, rando connections popped up trying to
burn it with torrents and the like. *sigh*. This is why we can't have nice
things. Power turned down to minimum pretty quickly after I noticed two
people with laptops on the bench outside leeching away as much as they
could.

> That system has recorded over 9000 other wifi networks in can see in the
> CBD and a similar one in Canterbury has seen about the same now that
> many cars now have access points as well as taxi and buses.  There is a
> massive amount of RF noise out there these days.

And the Unifi platform is pretty good at logging all of it, along with
alarming on the rogue APs that try to pinch one's SSID.

> The NBN install had so many problems it reminded me of the air
> conditioner issues in Terry Gilliam's Brazil.  They got so much right in
> that movie and I did like everyone running around looking at tiny
> screens.

Government, eh?

--
Andre van Eyssen.                  Phone:     +61 417 211 788
mail:     an...@purplecow.org      http://andre.purplecow.org