Hi Olivier,

> When porting some programs to the latest MSPGCC version from RedHat/TI, I
> noticed that ALL initialized global variables in my C code are not
> initialized by the crt0 code.

Are you using your own linker script or a linker script from an older
release ?

The problem is that MSP430 linker scripts used to place the .data
section into the ROM memory region and then code in crt0.o would copy
the data into RAM at program startup.  Newer linker scripts place the
.data section directly into the RAM or HIFRAM memory regions, so no
copying is needed.

A second part of this problem is that an optimization was added to help
reduce the size of the startup code for small programs.  The code in
crt0.o was split up into small files and crt0.o was then converted into
a library.  When an application is linked against the crt0 library only
the pieces of startup code that it really needed would be brought into
the executable.  Thus for example if a program never returned from
main() then crt0 code to call exit() after main is not needed and so all
of the cleanup code in the C library could be left out.

In order for this optimization to work however, the cooperation of the
compiler and assembler are needed.  They are expected to create
unresolved references to special symbols whenever they detect that a
certain feature of crt0 will be needed.  So for example the compiler
creates a reference to __crt0_call_exit if it compiles a function called
"main" that has an execution path that leads to the function returning.

One of the parts of crt0 that can be omitted is (or rather was) the
copying of data from ROM to RAM.  The need for this part of crt0 was
detected by the assembler where it would create a special symbol
__crt0_movedata whenever the .data section was used.  As part of a
ratification of linker scripts however the decision was made to move
.data into RAM and so the crt0 library and the assembler were updated to
remove the use of the __crt0_movedata symbol.

So ... you have three options:

   1. Stick with your solution of adding (back) the movedata function.
You may want to add code to skip calling memmove if __datastart ==
__romdatastart since memmove does not cope with this situation.

   2. Change your linker script to place the .data section into RAM.
Note - you will also want to make sure that the .upper.data and
.lower.data sections are also placed into RAM.

   3. Complain to TI that you want the movedata functionality restored
and they will fix it.  (Well I assume that they will.  Probably by
asking me to do it. :-)

Cheers
   Nick