Yeah, there's no "1 perfect way".  If for example all you had to address
was windows 10 and Office 2016--you could have 1 sug/package/deployment.
we have some lines of business that end up with 6 different SUGs:  Current
Month OS, Current Month Office, "this Year", "stuff prior to this year",
"Non security - discretionary".  Other lines of business just have 1 SUG
(because they only support for example Servers, with no office components
installed).

Honestly--it's whatever makes sense to you (and the people that are your
backup Admin).  And yes--1000 limit per Software Update Group; so you need
to keep that in mind when designing.  Note that for those 6 SUGs for that
LOB--they are all targeted to the same collection(s), with the same start
and deadline.  It's just how you want to break them up to handle the 1000
limitation, and also how you want to look at reports.

--
Thank you,

Sherry Kissinger

My Parameters:  Standardize. Simplify. Automate
Blogs: http://www.mofmaster.com, http://mnscug.org/blogs/sherry-kissinger,
http://www.smguru.org