On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Zoran Majcenic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone point me to or give me details of tape storage ?
> I'm interested in file headers, bit representation and possible use of
> parity or CRC.

The easiest way to use the tape is via the bios. You have routines for
write header (long/short), read header, read character and write
character. It should be possible to do it direct as well, but there's not
very much use for it, except if you want to be sure others can't read your
files... You have to make your own code for storage anyway if you use tape
directly, so it's up to you if you add a CRC... I don't know if the bios
routines use parity bits, but I don't think you can change it.

Bye,
shevek

---
Visit the internet summercamp via http://polypc47.chem.rug.nl:5002