At 10:39 PM 7/11/99 +0200, you wrote:

>  WHAT IS PHOENIX PLATFORM???
>
> Phoenix is a new name for a new MSX evolution, with Phoenix the MSX users
>have the guarantee of a full compatibility between different projects and a
>big number of software specifically designed for your piece of hardware.
>This means that if you buy the Z380 board of Padial you will can use the
>software designed in the Z380 board of another hardware developer.

It's a good idea to standardize the new MSX efforts, it will improve their
chances of success.

But I wonder, how will the Phoenix standard be decided?

There have been many discussions about new MSX standards on this list and
the newsgroup, but there was never consensus about what new MSX should be
like. Some people want full compatibility with nowadays MSX, other people
want a machine that will run Linux, some are willing to pay a lot, others
want a cheap system etc.

So if the Phoenix standard would be decided upon by consensus, I think it
is sure to fail.

An alternative to consensus would be voting, in that case the question is:
who gets to vote? Anyone who subscribes to a Phoenix mailinglist? A
selected group?

You must understand that I (and probably many others) are a bit sceptical
about new MSX projects, since many were announced and none were ever
completed. For people to have faith in Phoenix, it would have to be clear
that it will not be another dream that will never become reality.

Another question: what are the starting assumptions for Phoenix?
You talk about Z380, is that a fixed fact or is it a possibility? And when
you write MSX, do you mean "something that is 99% compatible with MSX2" or
do you mean "something that carries the spirit of MSX" or something else?

> Collaboration, this is a good idea of Paco Molla Gandía, Jesús Tarela and
>Rafael Corrales Pulido, we need more interested people in making Phoenix, we
>need technical support, a new WEB, a FTP server and a new MSX mailing list,
>we need translators, and a concrete list of hardware developers and concrete
>projects. We will start stablishing a relationship between MSX hardware
>developers and programmers for getting a common agreement.

I have experience in web and software.
Stack may be willing to host some services (they already host this
mailinglist), but maybe it's easier to use existing services, like making a
Phoenix directory on funet.

Bye,
                Maarten