At 01:36 PM 7/16/99 +0200, you wrote:

>>btw... didn't the soundblaster 16 have an OPL3 or OPL4?
>
>OPL3, just like the SBpro. The difference between SBpro and SB16 lies
>in the A/D-D/A part, which is 8-bit in the SBpro and (oh wonder ;-))
>16-bit in the SB16.

Early SB-Pro's had 2x OPL2...

>(And, AFAIK, OPL3 = 2xOPL2 - one for left and one for right :-))

No, it's not equivalent.
On OPL3, every channel can be output to any out of 4 outputs (although most
cards only use 2 of those). So if you want to produce mono sound, OPL3
gives you 18 channels and dual OPL2 only 9 channels.
Also, the OPL3 support 4-operator voices, which reduces the number of
channels but enables more complex instruments.

About ADPCM:
I mentioned this to indicate that OPL2 is not a full superset of OPL1.
By the way, I think it wouldn't be too hard to emulate ADPCM using PCM,
especially since Alex Wulms published conversion routines. I know Yobi
succesfully used those to play MWK files on the MoonSound.

Bye,
                Maarten