Hi,

        Does anyone knows how a pipe between processes is implemented by
UNIX shells?
        I think that lauching all processes at the same time and piping
one to another is an extreme waste of resources. And I know that MS-DOS
and MSXDOS2 have pipes and they are monotask OSs.
        For example:

        cat fudeba.txt | head 20 | tail 10 | less

        What is the (best) approach? I think that making 4 fork()/exec()
is an extreme waste of system resources. And I don't know how making the
pipe in a serialized way.
        I tried to understand the code of the clam shell, but I couldn't. :P

        [btw, it's not off-topic. it's related to UZIX, even if some
         people doesn't like it]

        Thanks,

Adriano Camargo Rodrigues da Cunha               ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Engenharia de Computacao - UNICAMP
http://www.adrpage.cjb.net           http://if.you.dont.like.msx.usuck.com

* Bug (n) Technology originally developed by Microsoft in the 1980s.  *