Hi, some small (?) comment from my side. Please do not write reactions
before completely reading the message...

> Here is my opinion on a new MSX computer.
>
> What is MSX then?
>
> Not easy to define, as it is very difficult to state what MSX really is.
> From what i see in this mailinglist it is close to religion, a believe in
> myth, a way of life, etc etc.
> For me the MSX is the standard for hardware and software as defined by the
> founders and documented in the Technical documents by Ascii for MSX-1, 2
and 2+.

That is it indeed. But it is also the special feeling of those days when it
was so popular. The days that you were very excited when Konami released a
new cartridge or when the new MSX magazine was on the doormat. THose days...

> Those standards, expanding on and incorporating the older standards are
the
> basis of the success up till now and the lack of new standards was the
cause
> of the decline.
> So MSX is frozen in time somewhere around 1990.

Right. Since then (I think 1991) there were no real commercial developments
anymore for MSX. No BIG things. So, in principle, there MSX (the standard)
stopped. Some years after that (3 or 4 years) there was still a big activity
though, since the MSX hardware (TurboR) was still quite reasonable. But this
vanished with the years...

You can say "but now it continues!", but that is not the same. MSX was
(commercially seen) stopped for 9 years. This is just too long to get the
same feeling back. If ASCII or any other company releases a new MSX this
year, it is still not the same. It will never be the same again, since it
was stopped for 9 years. It would all have been different if in those 9
years MSX would have been continued, because then you (and MSX) could have
followed the developments according to the standards of those years. But
now... I think the gap is just too big to get the same feeling again, if
this new MSX is released.

Indeed, they can release a computer that is compatible with MSX (So that it
is in fact an MSX computer), but what is the use? You can play ancient games
on it. Okay. But you can also do that on a real old MSX computer or even on
an emulator (although that is not as good as on a real one of course, the
feeling is not there...). For what then? They could release it as a new
homecomputer, but why would they then bother to make it compatible with MSX?
I would not know.

So let us just face it: it will never be the same again as in those days! Be
realistic.

On the other hand, of course I would like this new MSX to be developed! I
would even buy it. Just for the fun of it! I am VERY curious about these
developments. Maybe a part of the feeling will come back, or maybe more
people will recognize how great MSX is/was.

Also, the projects of hobbyists are very interesting to me. The products
will enable me to have even more fun with my MSX.
However, a new MSX may also be able to give me more fun with MSX, but I
guess such a new MSX would not be commercially interesting for any company
to produce, just like those hobbyists projects (CIEL, Padial, Sunrise,
etc.), since only the current MSX users would buy the products. (See below!)

But again: let us wait and see what happens. I wonder what will happen on
Den-Yu Land.

These are exciting times, people!

> So if the MSX as brand will revive, the hardware and operating system, the
> style guides, the software all will have to be new and very powerful. Very
> deep down there the old MSX compatibility might be there (quite certainly
in
> emulation), but for the new user it will be 3d video, great audio, high
res,
> much cpu power and killer software that will count.

What does it have to do with MSX then?  Nothing. You then have a totally new
computer which is by accident MSX compatible. Just like any good emulator in
fact. You see? The feeling won't be there!
What would be the use of making it MSX compatible? And what would be the use
of making a MSX with so much new stuff that it is in fact a totally new
computer? I really think it is not the same as when in all those years there
would have been made gradual improvements in the official MSX standards.

> No, MSX will live as long as the old hardware is still working, and
amateurs
> like us keep having fun with it.

Exactly. Maybe: as long as people talk about it, write magazines, make
software, use software, etc.

> Why do i bother with MSX then? For me it is a hobby, and a hobby is not
> necessarily profitable or meaningfull.
> It IS fun, i discuss with nice people, have a good subject for a webpage.
> And it brings back memories of those days when discovering MSX and seeing
> new developments was such great fun.

Yes. But... it will never be the same as in those days.

Anyway, this is the first and last e-mail I will write about this.
I just needed to get rid of this text. MSX for ever!

Hmm, maybe this text sounds rather strange... If so, please delete and
forget about it.

Best regards,

Manuel