> >How strange that there are no messages in comp.sys.msx about the
> >Japanese efforts to build a new MSX computer. There 's a lot of
> >discussion going on about this in the msx mailing list ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).
> >Could it be that most MSX fanatics are subscribed to that list and
> >don't read this news group anymore? Or is there a separation between
> >news group readers and mailing list readers???
>
> I don't even know where to find this newsgroup. I have only a subscription
> to the mailinglist. But anyway, now you're posting this discussion to the
> mailinglist once again. Is this a mistake?

Newsgroups are on usenet, the Mailinglist is on email. Email is mainly for
personal contact, Usenet is only for discussions. Usenet is also setup in a
very logical way with cascading subjects; all subjects replying to eachother
are linked, even when the subject changes. It is in fact a better version of
the mailinglist, which is merely an 'imitation' of usenet. Or actually the
other way around. Usenet is far superior to email mailinglists. Then why
does this list still exist? Well, it is harder to reach, and therefor the
discussions here are more relevant and more fun to 'real' MSX users. On
news://comp.sys.msx there is mainly emulator- and offtopic-talk.

Maybe I should rephrase that. There is a lot of emulator- and offtopic talk
which doesn't interest most 'active' MSX users. If you have a question
concerning programming the chances of it getting answered are much higher on
this list than on the MSX Newsgroup, because the real 'core' of the MSX
users is gathered here. However, I think it's still too bad those two
channels are seperated...

An email-client like Outlook Express supports both. I think Eudora and
Netscape also do. Refer to your provider's docs on how to set up your
client.

> >What should a new MSX look like? What would you want to be able to do
> >with it (while making sure it remains a MSX and does not become a PC
> >or a console)?
>
> I don't know. Isn't it so that everyone still using an MSX today is mainly
> attracted by the features the system has right now? It is indeed an
> interesting question WHY people so eagerly want to see a new MSX
developed.
> I can't see any good reason, to be honest.

No and yes. The scene is very important to me, and the Mailinglist. But
indeed also the limitations attract me. However, it's more that current PC's
are just too darn complex to program for. I know the basics of C++,
Java(script), etc, but I get lost in all the different kinds of functions,
flags, etc. It is totally untransparant to me.

 email me: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or ICQ: 10196372
      visit my homepage at http://grauw.blehq.org/