On Tue, 05 Sep 2000, you wrote:

> The way numbers are written may be
> different. Here's how my assembler does it:
> starting with a number 0-9, a hexadecimal number is expected.
> starting with %, a decimal number is expected.
> starting with @, an arbitrary base (2-36) number is expected. first
> character is the base (10-1 in the desired base), the rest is the number.
> eg to write an octal number, you can use @7nnn. @fxx is an alternative way
> of writing hexadecimal numbers.

That makes sources for your assembler incompatible with every other assembler
out there...

Who need numbers in an arbitrary base anyway? Hexadecimal, decimal and
binary are enough. Octal is supported by many languages, but it is rarely
used in practice (the only use I know is Unix file permissions).

> Second thing is that I want header files for use with the assembler. I
> want it to be used in combination with the gcc preprocessor, so #includes
> can be made. Those header files should contain system variables, bios
> addresses, i/o-port numbers, etc. If anyone is interested in writing them
> (or help improving the source of the assembler), mail me directly or via
> sourceforge.

I have a couple of header files already (for the BIOS, SubROM and hooks).
I'll mail them to you.

Please don't use the C system for header files. Otherwise you'll have to use
ugly constructs like this:

#IFNDEF BIOS_H
#DEFINE BIOS_H

; ...header file...

#ENDIF

to avoid "label redefined" on multiple includes. It is better to make the
assembler remember which header files are already included and don't process
a single header file twice.

Bye,
                Maarten

****