What you say makes sense. However, does MESS run on UNIX, or is it easily
portable to that platform? If not I'll stick to fMSX for my games for a
while, and check in upon MESS every now and then.

To think of it... I actually saw a reference to MESS on a website once,
can't remember which. The screenshots were cool :)

Furthermore, Marat's license doesn't really prohibit your changing the
code, he simply states that he wishes to be notified when you do so, and
also that you may not use his products commercially (i.e. e.g. sell it),
which I find perfectly acceptable. So far I've had to change very little
in his distributions of fMSX. Version 2.3 runs fine on my systems.

However, I agree with you that a free software implementation would be
more useful. Please note the difference between Open Source and Free
Software (take a look at Richard Stallman's page for that, there are
references to it everywhere). Also, note that the GNU Public License
(version 2) isn't entirely "burnproof", there are loopholes in it, but
it's a good way to start.

Kind regards,

Martin.