On Sunday 24 March 2002 13:07, you wrote:
> Alex Wulms wrote, in reply to Richard Atkinson:
> >] generations too early. Also, do not *ever* run Marat software. Do I need
> >] to explain this one? ;)
> >Why is everybody picking so much on Marat?
>
> Because he's an evil megalomaniac greedy thinks-he-knows-it-all asshole. Do
> I really need to explain this?!

I have a very different view of Marat. I don't think he has any more of a
know-it-all attitude than the average programmer has.

And why greedy? He is giving fMSX-Unix away for free, including source. The
reason Windows users pay is for the effort he puts into them (creating the
GUI and support). Marat never stopped anyone from creating a Windows port of
fMSX, instead he even links to them.

If you think of Marat in that way, so be it. I just wanted to state publicly
that this view of Marat is not shared by everyone who has dealed with him.

> >Note that fMSX is the father of many other MSX emulators that currently
> >exist. Even the much heralded NLMSX is derived from fMSX.
>
> I wouldn't exactly call that a good thing. I'd call it inbreed!
> Although AFAIK NLMSX doesn't contain much, if any, fMSX code anymore.

I haven't seen the NLMSX codebase. But even if it would have very little fMSX
code anymore, using fMSX as a starting point has made development a lot
easier than starting from scratch.

fMSX is not perfect and I don't think it will ever be; there are some design
limitations that will be hard to overcome. But I do have a lot of respect for
it. fMSX was the first MSX emulator and it's still very much alive and
kicking.

> No, I'm very glad a new MSX emulator is being developed that will stop the
> senseless cloning of fMSX! *hint hint*

I think openMSX will be able to shine on its own merits, there is no need to
speak ill of fMSX and its derivatives.

Bye,
                Maarten