Maarten ter Huurne wrote:
>I have a very different view of Marat. I don't think he has any more of a
>know-it-all attitude than the average programmer has.

Do I have to repeat how FIRMLY he stated GameBoy emulation was totally
impossible on MSX, even if the emulation was limited? Do I really have to
say GEM runs certain GameBoy games at close to REAL GameBoy speed on turboR
with good graphics and sound?

And then being so damn stubborn and say GEM isn't playable! :/ I laugh at
his kind!
/me points to Marat and laughs

>And why greedy? He is giving fMSX-Unix away for free, including source.

Why greedy? He's making money off of YOUR FUCKING WORK! He's making money
on everybody whose ever contributed to fMSX! If that's not hypocritical and
greedy, I don't know what is...

>The reason Windows users pay is for the effort he puts into them (creating
>the GUI and support). Marat never stopped anyone from creating a Windows
>port of fMSX, instead he even links to them.

Don't make me laugh. A GUI is a one-time effort, and something created in
minutes. No hard work at all!

And about support, I doubt he gives paying Windows users more support than
any Unix user. So why should Windows users pay for it when others get it
for free? That's discrimination!

Another thing: He has forbidden anyone to make a DOS version of Virtual
GameBoy and removed the source. I remember other incidents of this kind as
well.

>If you think of Marat in that way, so be it. I just wanted to state
>publicly that this view of Marat is not shared by everyone who has dealed
>with him.

There are always people that look at the world through pink sunglasses :/
And hey, I'm sure Hitler had friends too!

>But even if it would have very little fMSX code anymore, using fMSX as a
>starting point has made development a lot easier than starting from scratch.

I'm not saying fMSX hasn't been of help to anyone. I'm just saying Marat is
an ass!
I'm pretty sure he's not smart enough to have ever made it this far without
all the other contributers' help. There have been incidents of people
repeatedly informing Marat of errors in his emulators and offering
solutions, but did he implement the changes? NOOOO...

And them I'm not even talking about digital sound! How long did Marat stay
in the stoneage with soundemulation using MIDI in his emulators? It cracks
me up just thinking about it.

Note I'm not just talking about fMSX, it's the whole spectrum of useless
crap so-called emulators that Marat has put out.

>But I do have a lot of respect for it. fMSX was the first MSX emulator and
>it's still very much alive and kicking.

I will agree with you that fMSX deserves respect, but that certainly is not
courtesy of it's initial creator.

And man... Do you actually think it's a good thing that people had to hack
ROM-images up so they would work in fMSX?! The issues were known, but noooo
why would you make an emulator better if you can make money with an
inferior product :/

Ofcourse everybody should make up their own mind of how they feel (or
whether they feel) about Marat themselves. I just think they should know
the truth.

Like I said, I started out thinking Marat was a cool guy. Over the years
this feeling has changed, but I always gave him the benefit of the doubt.
Until personally dealing with him that is. Because since then I'm
definately one of the many people that say "NO" to Marat.

Greetz,
         Patriek