Dear Natalia, Hermann, Christian, and all,

To answer Natalia's question Romanian<-> Italian, I have never heard of an MT system for such a language pair. Maybe someone at some university has made a prototype of one.

As for Hermann's question about commercially available Italian > English pair, I confirm Christian statement that SYSTRAN v5 (the European language pack) has Italian paired with English.

No English<->Italian by PROMT yet. Just Russian<-> Italian thus far. Info on their language pairs in their recent press release early this month (March 2005) at:
http://www.e-promt.com/en/news/1881.php

Software reviews of MT (and other NLP) systems are available at the Language Techology Software Review site at:
http://www.geocities.com/langtecheval/

Please note the following few entries are not yet entered to that site but will probably be referenced there in a couple of days:

Tom Wassmer's recent review of SYSTRAN v5 Pro
http://www.multilingual.com/wassmer269.htm

My recent review of Pocket PROMT 4.0
http://www.multilingual.com/allen68.htm

Tom Wassmer's recent review of PASSOLO v5
http://www.multilingual.com/wassmer169.htm

I am also currently testing and plan to provide reviews of the following:
SYSTRAN v5, PROMT XT v6.5, PROMT XT v7 beta

- if you don't know Italian, you can understand the overall meaning, but postediting into a professional quality level is not possible.

The following short article shows that Full Postediting for high-quality professional translation work is very much possible.

ALLEN, Jeff. What is Post-editing? Translation Automation Newsletter, Issue 4. February 2005. Published by Cross-Language.
http://www.geocities.com/mtpostediting/TA_IssueFour.pdf

Finally, whether you know Italian or not, you might improve the "rough translation" output by using the interactive disambiguation facility introduced in version 5.

or use the following step-by-step procedure (especially for helping monolingual speakers).

ALLEN, Jeff. January/February 2005. Getting started with Machine Translation. In the special supplement "Guide to Translation" of MultiLingual Computing & Technology, Number 69, Volume 16, Issue 1.
https://216.18.156.115/multilingual/downloads/screenSupp69.pdf

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff Allen