-----------------------------------------------------------

New Message on MumbaiUserGroup

-----------------------------------------------------------
From: chandramukhi_mug
Message 1 in Discussion


Thanks all for the response
 
Attached is a small project, which can give 
complete information abt how I am doing it. The project uses PUBS.
In case if u do not haev it, pl. you can easily 
modify to any other database to try it out.
 
What I am trying to do is 
Use one connection to update a field with begin 
trans
and before end trans, use another connection to 
check the vcalue of the updated filed by trying various MODE / ISOLATION 
LEVELS
 
 
Problem is also re-stated herewith for better understanding as weel as for 
those who missed ealrier post.
 
I THINK ITS A VERY STRANGE 7 SERIOUS 
PROBLEM.
It's in my accounting Apps.

In voucher entry option, let's say user has entered about 100 records 
(practically there might be more)

The same are accepted in a temporary table.

At the end, when user presses OK and if the total debit / credit tallies, the 
same are updated to my SQL server 7 database in a table call TRXN table. 


Before update, I issue a BEGIN TRANS commnad and at the end after all 100 
records are updated I issue COMMIT TRANS command.

While this voucher is being updated, If the user takes any report (Using 
CRYSTAL REPORT VER 8.5) it prints transactions which are updated IN THE trxn 
table at that point in time. So the whole system goes for a toss, as the 
complete voucher is not yet FULLY updated in the TRXN table. Ideally User should 
not see any transaction of a voucher half updated.

To SUm up, even though I have used BEGIN TRANS and COMMIT TRANS , the 
transaction are available to another user before COMMIT TRANS is issued. (If I 
END in between, all the transactions are rolled back as such, which is as 
expected). This is using CRYSTAL REPORT. I don;t know whether there is any FUNDA 
of isolation level while using CR. 

In crystal report, I connect to the database using ODBC connection 
string. 

One more, If I issue any SQL query (usign ISQL) while the transactions are 
being updated, the ISQL throws time out error. I do this by HALTING the 
execution of VB program in debug mode. This is becoz the record is locked. Here 
also what I expect is the previous values of the respective records.

In the DSN which I have created, I select driver as SQL SERVER. And than I 
select the server name which I want to connect to. I use SQL Server 
authentication. Than I change the default database to my application database. 
Actually I have tried all the methods of connecting to a database.

WIth warm regards

Chandramukhi

-----------------------------------------------------------

To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your E-mail 
Settings.
http://groups.msn.com/mumbaiusergroup/_emailsettings.msnw

Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member Services.
http://groups.msn.com/_passportredir.msnw?ppmprop=help

For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
http://groups.msn.com/contact

If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you received 
this message by mistake, please click the "Remove" link below. On the pre-addressed 
e-mail message that opens, simply click "Send". Your e-mail address will be deleted 
from this group's mailing list.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to