I oppose patent trolls and trivial patents. Beyond that I think it's a bit more murky. My a basic rule of thumb would be: If I can think of a mathematical or algorithmic solution to some random problem in my field in less than a month I don't expect that solution to be patented or patentable. I have no PhD qualification in anything, let alone in software, engineering or mathematics. By these measures I'm not even "skilled in the art". I rarely apply myself to solving a single problem for more than a month or two.

On the other hand, if I'd spent 5 years banging my head up against a single problem in my field of knowledge/expertise, had developed unique theories and approaches, perhaps built an industrial research team around it, and no one else had thought of the same thing, I _might_ consider it reasonable to patent it, which is not to say I would patent it but it would at least make some sense to try to derive an income stream from my efforts.

The problem with that is that things that are non-obvious today might be completely obvious in 5 or 10 years. Interval research is a good example of thinking ahead of the curve and patenting things that only become relevant later.

Andy Farnell wrote:
More: By publishing you make the advance unpatentable. Therefore
a patent can _only_ be interpreted (in a modern context) as a
desire to inhibit progress.

Sorry Andy, I can't agree with you on that. There are far too many subtleties to the question of patents to paint a black and white picture about the interpretation of the intent of filing a patent.

Patents may inhibit many things but I'm not sure "progress" is one of them. Whose progress are we talking about, a Corporation's? a State's? the individual? "society's" progress? I'm not sure these are even concrete or separable concepts. Is the priviledged progress of a Corporation (for example) necessarily detrimental to the progress of the broader group of humans the Corporation is embedded in -- you'd have to adopt a particular economic-theoretic position to even argue this point and then there would be arguments over the position you've taken. Replace Corporation with "State", "research group", "individual", etc in the previous paragraph and repeat.

Patents provide limited monopoly rights to the holder, which arguably supports progress and innovation by the group/company/etc who have already proven themselves to be capable of undertaking the necessary research to create the idea.

In the sphere of corporate production, industrial and state research those that hold the patents _are_ progressing. Fraunhofer and CSIRO (for example) have derived income from their patent holdings which allows them to do more research. Without patents where would these organisations get their funding from? (a serious question)

Patents do inhibit direct competition in production to be sure, but this forces competitors to invent non-infringing technology which could be argued to actually increase diversity and therefore progress. I suspect that the tension between Patents vs Anti-patent producers is actually stimulating "progress".

I have never filed a patent and I have benefitted from (for example) the work of the Xiph and IETF folks on the CELT codec that Gregory Maxwell mentioned -- but if Xiph hadn't done that work, then perhaps my individual progress would have been limited. On the other hand, none of existing patent encumbered codecs have low enough latency for my application, so without the motivation that Xiph has (partially related to the creation of free IP), perhaps I wouldn't have a solution at all.

As a scientist, teacher and human being I find I'm morally
obliged to oppose such madness.

Fair enough. I'm a pragmatist, I don't see direct opposition "patent madness" as a whole as a particularly useful stance. I don't see patents as dirrectly in oposition to Science or teaching either. I actually think they do more harm to ISVs than they do to the march of scientific progress or the development of ideas.

<rant>
What I don't like is having a random (and not particularly novel) idea, googling for a paper or wiki article about it, and finding that it's patented -- that's not cool. It's a bit like thinking "perhaps if I put salt on this stain on my carpet it will clean it" and then discovering that "Method for cleaning carpet stains using sodium chloride" is patented because someone already tried it and took out a patent on it. Of course, then I just go and use copper sulphate instead and I'm golden.. but I had the sodium chloride in my kitchen and now I've had to go and get some copper sulphate from somewhere.

A big part of the problem is that obviouness/non-obviousness is a difficult thing to assess. However, if I go to the MIT open courseware website and watch a first year lecture on stains and crystal absorption and the head of the American Society for Stains and Crystal Absorption (a lecturer there) says "Sodium chloride is the standard, first choice, go-to solution for removing stains from anything and everything" then you've got to ask yourself, is that patent non-obvious?

OTOH perhaps copper sulphate works better than sodium chloride and now I've actually progressed due to a trivial patent on the most obvious solution :-)
</rant>

I think there are at least three separate issues here:

1. Whether one believes that granting 20 year monopoly rights for an invention should be acceptable in our society. In other words, whether the patent system should exist at all, or perhaps that its structrue should be altered.

2. Whether one believes that the standards applied in granting patents are sufficiently rigorous to protect truly novel inventions while rejecting trivial, obvious and redundant inventions.

You can apply the above two points to the patent system as a whole, or narrow them to apply only to software patents or some other subset.

I don't know about patent reform as a whole, but I'd sure like those pesky patents on obvious things to go away. Does anyone know the most effective way to lobby for reform in this area? Is there are group that focuses on calling for re-examination of obvious patents that I could support?

Thanks

Ross.