> I'm not sure I agree that patents really help progress.

When I have time, I try to write directly, with a minimum number of words
(years ago, I was impressed by this sentence from Blaise Pascal: "I am sorry to
have wearied you with so long a letter but I did not have time to write you a
short one").

When I wrote "First, patents are important, and help progress", I did not mean
to imply that they are either necessary for progress, nor that they always help
progress. I meant that at their best, patents are important and help progress.
(Similarly, I might say "People help other people." This does not mean that
people so not do great harm to other people as well, nor that all people help
other people.) Then I gave examples of good and bad aspects of patents, which I
expected would make that point clear.

I believe that they do help progress in cases of difficult breakthroughs that
will become obvious once revealed (and thus can't be protected as trade
secrets).

So, I don't disagree with anything you said Al--you make good points; but I
just wanted to clarify that point.

And yes, I agree that the vast majority (maybe your 99%) of patents don't help
progress. However, most don't really matter either way in the big picture of
"progress", so I don't think most hinder it either.

(I'm going to be intentionally vague here, but these do regard actual cases I
have intimate knowledge of)

For instance, maybe a maker of implantable medical device, through expensive
research and difficult medical trials (where lives are at risk), develops
techniques and algorithms that improve the quality and length of peoples'
lives. Another device maker could copy that and have a much quicker and cheaper
road to approval, if not for patents. So, the obvious thing is that the first
company is protected and can make a profit--and knowing this in advance allowed
them to take the step towards progress to begin with. Not only that, but the
second company, if it is to compete, must do their own work, and perhaps come
to an even better solution--driving more progress.

Now, on the less important-to-society front: A company comes up with an idea
for tactile feedback in video games. This sort of thing is immediately obvious
once demonstrated, so trade secrets are of no use. There is nothing especially
difficult about this technique they developed, but they did come up with a
really successful application of the idea, because it's cheap to implement, is
an easy feature for game developers to include support for, and game players
take to it right away and will pay extra for controllers using it.

Video games machines these days are controlled by a few large players, and if
they want to incorporated this technique themselves, the original developing
company would get nothing. Of course, some would consider this as unimportant,
and having nothing to do with progress in the greater sense, but others might
consider this legally-aided fairness that would otherwise probably not play out
fairly in the market place.

Again, I also think the term of patents is excessive in modern context.