On 8 February 2011 15:50, Stefan Kersten <s...@k-hornz.de> wrote:
> the known precedents make it a risky undertaking trying to distribute _any_
> GPL'd application through the app store, because apple might decide to take it
> out in any moment; not a sound foundation to build any business model on ...

I imagine it's more a question of whether other copyright holders in
the GPL software might object (in which case Apple would pull it --
this is what happened with VLC and Gnu Go) than of Apple spontaneously
deciding to remove it.

I'm not finding it easy to work out the exact situation from the T&Cs
at http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html#APPS.  This
document notes that individual applications may have different EULAs
from the default Apple-provided one, so the "licensed application
EULA" (which is definitely GPL-incompatible) wouldn't necessarily have
to apply -- but the implication seems to be that the App Store Product
Usage Rules would still apply because they are not part of the section
identified as the EULA.  And they also appear incompatible with the
GPL (e.g. section 6 of GPLv2), though it may depend on who the "You"
in the GPL is understood to refer to in this context (Apple or you).

Basically I think if you own the copyright or have the agreement of
everyone who does, then in practice you probably can get away with
putting GPL'd code in the Apple stores -- but as soon as someone might
reasonably object, then you're quite likely stuffed regardless of
whether you made your best effort to comply with the GPL or not.  A
pity it's such a grey area, it does make things rather unpredictable.

Doesn't look like there's any such problem with the Android market, as
far as I can see
(http://www.google.com/mobile/android/market-tos.html,
http://www.android.com/us/developer-distribution-agreement.html).

Chris