On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 01:04:53 +0000
Richard Dobson <richarddob...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I can't put a lot of time into this reply, too much else to do. But I

Understood. Me too, just a few days off for hellraising and
then back to the grind too. Appreciate your banter on this Richard.

>  Engineers know how to do more with less, while the
> rest of us manage to do a little with rather a lot. Charitable enough?

Sure, sure, clear enough I got that. And it's a compliment to all engineers.
My point is that it makes engineers one dimensional if the only consideration
is money. Sometimes us engineers can do things safely (in ADA) or creatively,
or with other considerations depending on what's important.

> Except that
> all of a sudden people want to run a music studio on their iPod.
> Engineers needed!

Yep, well theres a few stories I can tell you :)
RjDj just passed the 3 millon download mark with the
inception app.

> I never suggested the system was working. Indeed I agree that it is not.
> get it working properly so that it ~can~ protect the little guys.

We can do that.

What we have in common is far more valuable than anything else.

It's hard to defend a radical position without seeming a precious,
and self-absorbed asshole, but I am very sincere and have thought it through
for many years.

> Now, it needs serious hardware to get it viable for the consumer in real

Nothing like an idea who's time has come. Maybe its the right idea, but wrong
time
and you need to hang in there. I spent 5 years mulling over theories of
procedural
audio, reading papers and books by Perry Cook and others, impatient with
why people didn't think like what I was seeing in game audio possibilities.
It wasn't until 2005 that it was obvious things were coming to fruition,
and 6 years further still having to work hard to push forward, but there's
an unmistakable trajectory to the project now.
I think there's a lull in music production, as an art, except on fringes
at present, and new opportunities for new synthesis methods will come
on the wave of the next revival.

best,
andy
--