I'm used to doing auto correlation for pitch detection, but right now, I've got to find a way for doing very fast and half-reliable algorithm for periodic signals.

Make a list of *everything* you know about the signal.

For instance if it was a musical signal in regular tuning you'd be able to only check for in tune notes.
(and maybe fine tune afterwards)

If you know *anything* about the waveform it might be able
to even exceed the theoretical max speed for detection.
(not likely tho')

Using more than one filter would make sense if you were going to stick with that method, but less efficient to make them go in opposite directions.
How about if each filter sticks to it's own frequency range. Then you'd
could optimise each of them for that range. How about using as many filters as you can?

...don't there's people on this list who know much more about
this than I do, who'll probably suggest FFT.

andy