> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:52:43 -0500
> Stephen Sinclair <radars...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What is the nature of your input signal?  Is it harmonic? Does the
> > frequency change quickly or slowly?  These could be important details.
>
> For further clarification, do you want continuous pitch detection,
> or pitch recognition, from a set of markers, like musical notes?
> Many people who say they want pitch detection want pitch recognition.
> Differences between detection and recognition come under, amongst
> others, Quine, Shannon, Weaver and Pierce.

Hm, English isn't my native language, in German I'd say we use the term for
recognition, at least that's my intuition.
I just get a buffer of real-world signals, perferably stringed instruments, and
I need the current pitch to work with.

> From: James Chandler Jr <jchan...@bellsouth.net>
> To: A discussion list for music-related DSP
>       <music-dsp@music.columbia.edu>
> Subject: Re: [music-dsp] adaptive filter pitch detection?

> * Phase Locked Loops-- Here are a few representative links (of many
> googlable)
>
> http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/33-05/phase_locked/index.html
>
> http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/tutorials/MT-086.pdf
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-locked_loop

Ah, hadn't thought about PLLs at all. Thanks for bringing that up. Will look it
up (been a while since I scratched that briefly).

> * Dynamics compressors re the feedback versus feedforward strategies.
> There are many googlable links searching "feedback feedforward compressor",
> but
> this thread explains the idea well enough--

Well, I'm pretty familiar with ff/fb detection in compressors, done a couple of
stuff there (also commercially). I know well about the built-in 'magic', and I
love it, but I haven't had that on the radar for the adaptive filter thing in
the first place. The entire world is made of feedback, but sometimes we don't
see the obvious..

Thanks for the right trigger. It is very appreciated :)

> If you do the same with a lowpass filter rather than a gain element, then
> the filter center frequency will always seek somewhere far enough below the
> frequency of the fundamental, to auto-level the output.
>
> The filter center frequency would not be a reliable indicator of the pitch

Well, it should be ok for doing zero-cross checking from there on, I guess.
But, why a lowpass? I thought it had to be a bandpass?

Sascha