Joining this conversation a little late, but what the heck...

On Feb 22, 2012, at 9:18 AM, Michael Gogins wrote:

> I got my start in computer music in 1986 or 1987 at the woof group at
> Columbia University using cmix on a Sun workstation.

Michael was a stalwart back in those wild Ancient Days!

> cmix has never
> had a runtime synthesis language; even now instrument code has to be
> written in C++.

One possible misconception -- by "runtime synthesis language" I'm sure Michael
means a design language for instantiating synthesis/DSP algorithms *in real
time*
as the language/synth-engine is running.  I tend to think of languages like
ChucK
or Supercollider more in that sense than Csound, and even SC differentiates
between
the language and then sending the synth-code to the server.

RTcmix (http;//rtcmix.org) works quite well in real time, in fact it has now
for almost
two decades.  The trade-off in writing C/C++ code is that it is one of the most
efficient languages currently in use.  We've also taken a route which allows it
to be 'imbedded' in other environments.  rtcmix~ was the first of the 'language
objects' I did for max/msp.  iRTcmix (RTcmix in iOS) even passes muster at the
clamped App Store, check out iLooch for fun:
http://music.columbia.edu/~brad/ilooch/
(almost 2 years old now).

For me the deeper issue is how these various languages/environments shape
creative thinking.  I tend to like the way I think about music, especially
algorthmic
composityon, using the RTcmix parse language than I do in, say SC.  Each system
has things 'it likes to do', and i think it important to be aware of these.

brad
http://music.columbia.edu/~brad