hi jeff,

apply as third party developer on steinberg.net to get the vst sdk. register as developer on adc (apple developers connection) to get the audio unit sdk. and apply as developer at avid to get the pro tools sdk.

once you have all three sdks, there are plenty of example projects in each sdk. that should give you a quick overview and lets you directly develop dsp code on the major hosts. it is a lot of fun ;)

cheers,
bastian