Stephen,
I have two books which I have found to be indispensable, "Digital Audio Signal
Processing" by Udo Zölzer, and "DAFX: Digital Audio Effects" edited by Zölzer,
with numerous authors.

They're my 'go-to' books when I need background and ideas on the subject,
offering both conceptual and implementational info. Perhaps others on the list
will have other books or sources they can recommend.

David Reaves
Recklinghausen, Germany