Thanks everyone for your quick and helpful responses.  This is exactly what I
was hoping for.

Robert, I'm looking for background information rather than specific capability
at this stage.

Alan, thanks for the very detailed reply.  I am working with C++, and the book
you recommended looks like a perfect way to get up to speed on some of the
detail.

Thomas, Theo, David, thank you all, I feel that I have very quickly acquired
some good direction!

Regards,

Stephen Clarke
Managing Director