> Is the test signal, while possibly containing any number of wave compenents
> at various frequencies, required to be continous ansd uniform?
>
> By this I mean you can't have frequencies jumping in and out, changing in
> amplitude etc…

The only requirement is that it’s properly band limited, as Kenneth said. So
for things jumping in and out, discontinuities, etc., the frequency components
that lie under half the sample rate can stay—the ones above it have to go
before you sample. In other words, from a time-domain point of view, the low
pass filter that enforces that with smooth discontinuities by the amount
needed, then you’re ready to sample.