On Mar 26, 2014, at 8:42 PM, Doug Houghton <doug_hough...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> I'm guessing this somehow scratches at the surface of what I've read about no
> signal being properly band limited unless it's infinit.

Sure, in the same sense, we don’t properly sample to digital or properly
convert back to analog anything—if “properly” means perfectly. But if it means
“adequately, then we’re good.

Perfectly is a brick wall lowpass filter. Adequately is is a steep filter that
gives us flat response out as far as we can hear, and results in aliasing of an
amplitude that is below out ability to hear.

BTW, there’s always something to learn or think about it seems. Having dinner
by myself tonight, I started thinking about those zeros between samples when
up-sampling. What if the sampled signal had a significant DC offset to start
with? What's the difference between inserting zeros, and inserting the DC
offset instead? Well, I did figure it out, and confirmed it when I got home,
but it was amusing to give some thought to something I hadn’t thought much
about, considering I’ve been writing oversampling code for 25+ years...