Of course, high gain amps have from four to six gain stages (and the stages may
have attenuation). I’m simplifying by putting all the gain in one stage, but
the point is that when you’re cranked on one of these amps, you can count on
being locked into the hard-clip region of the curve, and the soft clip region
might as well not be there.