>Mastering engineers can hear truncation error at the 24th bit but say it is
>subtle and may require experience or training to pick up.

Quick observations:

1) The output step size of the lsb is full-scale / 2^24. If full-scale is 1V,
then step is 0.0000000596046447753906V, or 0.0596 microvolt (millionths of a
volt). Hearing capabilities aside, the converter must be able to resolve this,
and it must make it through the thermal (and other) noise of their equipment
and move a speaker. If you’re not an electrical engineer, it may be difficult
to grasp the problem that this poses.

2) I happened on a discussion in an audio forum, where a highly-acclaimed
mastering engineer and voice on dither mentioned that he could hear the dither
kick in when he pressed a certain button in the GUI of some beta software. The
maker of the software had to inform him that he was mistaken on the function of
the button, and in fact it didn’t affect the audio whatsoever. (I’ll leave his
name out, because it’s immaterial—the guy is a great source of info to people
and is clearly excellent at what he does, and everyone who works with audio
runs into this at some point.) The mastering engineer graciously accepted his
goof.

3) Mastering engineers invariably describe the differences in very subjective
term. While this may be a necessity, it sure makes it difficult to pursue any
kind of validation. From a mastering engineer to me, yesterday: 'To me the
truncated version sounds colder, more glassy, with less richness in the bass
and harmonics, and less "front to back" depth in the stereo field.’

4) 24-bit audio will almost always have a far greater random noise floor than
is necessary to dither, so they will be self-dithered. By “almost”, I mean that
very near 100% of the time. Sure, you can create exceptions, such as
synthetically generated simple tones, but it’s hard to imagine them happening
in the course of normal music making. There is nothing magic about dither
noise—it’s just mimicking the sort of noise that your electronics generates
thermally. And when mastering engineers say they can hear truncation distortion
at 24-bit, they don’t say “on this particular brief moment, this particular
recording”—they seems to say it in general. It’s extremely unlikely that
non-randomized truncation distortion even exists for most material at 24-bit.

My point is simply that I’m not going to accept that mastering engineers can
hear the 24th bit truncation just because they say they can.