This has been a topic for a long time.

I wrote this "announcement" in April 1, 2006 in comp.dsp.
As background, Grant Griffin was a very active member on comp.dsp and had a site called dspGuru.

Press - Release

April II, MMVI
(April 1, 2006 for those barbarian 0 index DSP guys)

After careful consideration, Mathwork's Cleve Moler had this announcement
to make:

It's been brought to our attention that many of our DSP customers are unhappy with our choice of one-based indexing. We were relieved when dsp- guru, Grant Grifffn made such a fine argument supporting our long held convention. Since Mr Griffin is clearly the leader of all the DSP community, being the dsp-guru and all, we believe we can now put this
matter to rest.

We also did some historical research. The Romans created many engineering marvels during the height of their empire and they did not use 0 in their numbering system. It is our belief that DSP barbarians (with their heretical 0 based numbering notions), invaded from the north and set back
Western Civilization for over a thousand years.

Therefore to protect our current civilization from a similar fate, Mathworks has decided that we have a responsibility to change our numbering system to respond only to Roman Numerals. We know that this might be a small inconvenience to a few of you but we are sure that you will all go
along when you consider the bigger issues.

Supporting Argument Follows:

Grant Griffin <nos...@yahoo.com <javascript:>> wrote in news:4a503$442e975f$4088dbc7$1304

--
Al Clark