On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Andrew Kelley <superjo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:47 AM Andrew Kelley <superjo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> A ringbuffer introduces a buffer's worth of delay. Not good for
>>> applications that require low latency. A DAW would be a better example
>>> than a reverb. No low-latency monitoring with this arrangement.
>>>

>> I'm going to look carefully into this. I think you brought up a potential
>> flaw in the libsoundio API, in which case I'm going to figure out how to
>> address the problem and then update the API.
>>

> I think you are right that duplex streams is a missing feature from
> libsoundio's current API. Upon reexamination, it looks like it is possible
> to support duplex streams on each backend.

This will be a boon for libsoundio!

> I noticed that PortAudio's API allows one to open a duplex stream with
> different stream parameters for each device. Does it actually make sense to
> open an input device and an output device with...
>
>  * ...different sample rates?

PA certainly doesn't support this. You might have two devices open at one
time (one for input and one for output) and they might be running at
separate sample rates, but the stream itself will only have one sample rate
-- at least one device will be SR covered if necessary.

>  * ...different latency / hardware buffer values?

PA probably only uses one of the two values in at least some situations
like this. In fact, on OS X (and possibly on other APIs), the latency
parameter is often ignored completely anyway. (or at least it was when I
last looked at the code)

>  * ...different sample formats?

I don't think this is of much use to many people (anybody?). If it is, I
don't think the person who needs it would complain too much about a few
extra lines of conversion code, but maybe I'm wrong.

bjorn

--
Bjorn Roche
@shimmeoapp