Chebyshev is indeed a decent way to approximate trig from what I've read. (
http://www.embeddedrelated.com/showarticle/152.php)

Did you know that rational quadratic Bezier curves can exactly represent
conic sections, and thus give you exact trig values?  You essentially
divide one quadratic Bezier curve by another, with specifically calculated
weights.  Fairly simple and straightforward stuff.  Not sure if the
division is a problem for you mapping it to circuitry.
http://demofox.org/bezquadrational.html

Video cards use a handful of terms of taylor series, so that might be a
decent approach as well since it's used in high end production circuitry.