Years ago I attended a talk on Chebyshev polynomials and someone asked if
they could be used to approximate trig functions. My memory is hazy at
best, but here's what I recall: the answer was something like "you could,
but it would be very slow, so in practice I think that would be a bad
idea". Someone else said that the CORDIC algorithm is what's used in pocket
calculators for approximating trig functions. I remember hm going on to say
something like "Unfortunately, the CORDIC algorithm is mind-numbingly
boring and Chebychev polynomials are really interesting".

Well, to each his own. Perhaps you'll enjoy CORDIC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Alan Wolfe <alan.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chebyshev is indeed a decent way to approximate trig from what I've read. (
> http://www.embeddedrelated.com/showarticle/152.php)
>
> Did you know that rational quadratic Bezier curves can exactly represent
> conic sections, and thus give you exact trig values?  You essentially
> divide one quadratic Bezier curve by another, with specifically calculated
> weights.  Fairly simple and straightforward stuff.  Not sure if the
> division is a problem for you mapping it to circuitry.
> http://demofox.org/bezquadrational.html
>
> Video cards use a handful of terms of taylor series, so that might be a
> decent approach as well since it's used in high end production circuitry.
>

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Theo Verelst <theo...@theover.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Maybe a bit forward, but hey, there are PhDs here, too, so here it goes:
>> I've played a little with the latest Vivado HLx design tools fro Xilinx
>> FPGAs and the cheap Zynq implementation I use (a Parallella board), and I
>> was looking for interesting examples to put in C-to_chip compiler that I
>> can connected over AXI bus to a Linux program running on the ARM cores in
>> the Zynq chip.
>>
>> In other words, computations and manipulations with additions, multiplies
>> and other logical operations (say of 32 bits) that compile nicely to for
>> instance the computation of y=sin(t) in such a form that the Silicon
>> Compiler can have a go at it, and produce a nice relative low-latency FPGA
>> block to connect up with other blocks to do nice (and very low latency) DSP
>> with.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>  Theo V.

Bjorn Roche