>Weighting a mean with log-magnitude can quickly lead to nonsense.

To use log magnitude you'd first have to normalize it to look like a
probability density (non-negative, sums to one). Meaning you add an offset
so that the lowest value is zero, and then normalize. Obviously that puts
restrictions on the class of signals it can handle - there can't be any
zeros on the unit circle (in practice we'd just apply a minimum threshold
at, say, -60dB or whatever) - and involves other complications (I'm not
sure there's a sensible time-domain interpretation).

>I apply Occam's razor when making decisions about what metrics correspond
most closely to nature

What is the natural phenomenon that we're trying to model here?

> log-magnitude is rarely sensible outside of perception modeling

But isn't the goal here to estimate the "brightness" of a signal?
Perceptual modelling is exactly why I bring log spectra up.