On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Phil Burk <philb...@mobileer.com> wrote:

> I use biquads in JSyn. The coefficients are calculated using RBJ's
> excellent biquad cookbook from the music-dsp archives.
>
> I have found that I can recalculate and update the filter coefficients on
> the fly without unpleasant artifacts. I do NOT zero out or modify the
> internal state variables. I should think that setting them to zero would
> sound pretty bad.
>
> Generally the filter settings are changed gradually using a knob or driven
> by an LFO or envelope.

This last point is the key -- as long as you change the parameters slowly,
you are *probably* okay simply updating the parameters. However, if your
parameters are subject to rapid changes you need another solution. You
can't get away with that in a DAW with automation, for example.

bjorn

--
Bjorn Roche
@shimmeoapp